Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I recently painted this book cover for The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It was not an actual commission, however, just an assignment in my last class of my college career. It turned out fairly well for my first attempt at a night time sort of city environment. As usual the actual painting looks much better than the photograph even with the color corrections I've made. Some day I'll have to figure out the secret to properly photographing oil paintings. (Probably involves a nicer camera or something...)

Anyway: The Name of the Wind, 16X20, oil on masonite.
The first is a better photo and more accurate to the painting quality but not necessarily the color. The second is a much worse photo but has the text as I would imagine it looking on the cover of the book. The text is also blatantly stolen from a version of the book that has already been published. But it looks awesome so I couldn't resist.


On May 8th next week I'll be walking and graduated from college with a BFA in drawing and painting/ This is both exciting and terrifying to me but I'm looking forward to the time to dedicate to building up my portfolio and hopefully scraping around the edges of professional quality. Then who knows?

Oh I also did a cover for A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin in that same class. I will post it another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment